Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream
When I first bought my ice cream maker I was worried the novelty would wear off quickly, and it would be confined to a top dusty shelf in my kitchen. The truth is I'm embarrased as to the use it's had. I must have made over 30 flavours since June 06, and my favourites are in Forever Summer. The taste of homemade ice cream is so superior to bought stuff, that when hubbie came home with a tub of our (ex) favourite Haagen Dazs, we both took a couple of spoonfuls each, made faces at each other, and it's still in the freezer 4 days later- an unknown fate 8 months before!
I was keen to do this one, as it just looks so pretty. I made the regular egg custard ice cream, and the raspberry sauce, layered it up, and squiggled with a wooden kebab skewer. I sat patiently for a couple of hours for it to firm up in the freezer, and when I couldn't stand the suspense any longer dove in. One perfectly rippled scoop later... I was so proud! The balsamic vinegar in the raspberry sauce really adds another dimension to the flavour. To die for...

14 Comments:
I tried this last year and I agree - fantastic! It was really just so good.
Kathryn x
Hi - like you I am a Nigella fan. The icecream looks heavenly.
oh my god, that looks amazing!!! i have had my ice cream maker since July but sadly only made ice cream twice!!! i think i need to get over my custard fears and make this pronto!
xoxo
Ilana
Thanks Kathryn - you're right its heavenly- shall do this again (and again), Margaret and Ilana you must try this one!
I made this the year FS came out and can still remember how good it was. I have subsequently tried a couple of other recipes for this ice cream - but they are not a patch on Nigella's!
KJxx
This has been voted the best ice-cream ever in our house! My husband complains when I want to try out other recipes.
As fresh raspberries are not readily available, I have made the ripple from frozen raspberries and that also worked really well.
That scoop looks perfect!!
Looks truly amazing Rachel (I think you should send admin that pic and ask her to forward it to Nigella)
:-)
Thanks KJ, Redhead, Lisa and Anna. I'm thinking any fruit would work here...think I'm going to have to play around a bit. I'm thinking my favourite quinces, or blackberries, blueberries mmm the list is endless!
I really enjoy reading your site and I have recently added you to my blogroll. Hope this is ok with you. Mx
Rachel Blueberry ripple - that sounds amazing!
KJxx
Thank you Margaret, the more the merrier! I shall do likewise. I'm glad you are enjoying my project. KJ, I'll investigate the blueberry swirl and report back!
WOW!
G
Mmm, Rachel, that photo is just perfect! You say balsamic and raspberry? Sounds intriguing, I really must get myself an ice cream maker, this looks much better than any shop bought version!
Post a Comment
<< Home