Linguine with Mussels

I've mentioned before that I'm sceptical of molluscs. Not because of a previous deception, just plain old judging of appearances. Narrow minded, moi? Well it appears that (occasionally) I'm guilty as charged. I was determined, however, to try one or plus si affinités. I found fresh mussels, and they were considerably cheaper than I'd imagined. My husband was thrilled, he loves his moules, and the cat kept twisting between my legs as I went from sink to stove. Everyone was impatient except me, it seemed. I usually buy dried pasta but saw fresh linguine and with the pre-conceived idea it was 'better' bought it. I followed the instructions to the letter and got a huge sticky mess of floury tasting um...well it wasn't pasta. I hid 'it' under the mussels and presented the huge bowl to my husband for dinner (croque monsieur for me). He ate every last mussel with gusto, and left a clump of 'pasta', saying he was full; no fooling him. I tried a mussel as promised, and although I didn't slap my forehead with the sinking realisation of what I'd been missing all these years, it wasn't too bad. Chewy, with a slight fishy taste. What was I expecting?

2 Comments:
Hahaahaha... great post!!
I had some fresh mussels last week too. They can be totally feral if not super-fresh, which usually puts me off buying them regularly. Glad your husband liked it!
xox Sarah
You did a great job, they look perfect.
Post a Comment
<< Home