Gooseberry Fool

I lugged tins of gooseberries back from the UK on my last visit, as they have proven to be as elusive as seville oranges here in Canada. The season is apparently two weeks long sometime in June. I cooked the berries in their syrup to slightly reduce their tartness, added a slug of elderberry cordial (thank god for ikea) and then folded the fruit puree into the whipped cream. I halved the recipe as it was just for the 2 of us, and made 4 glasses worth. Very retro and very delicious!

2 Comments:
Hey there!
Lol, I just ate the elderflower and gooseberry ice-cream from the same book. I suppose it's like a frozen version of the fool? At any rate, delicious. I had no idea you could get tinned gooseberries! I've been buying them fresh during their 2-week season at extortionate prices and freezing them, lol. I'll have a look out for some tinned ones though!
xox Sarah
Hi Sarah,
I just today bought the ingredients for the icecream as i'm in gooseberry mode. I hadn't had them for SO long, and am now craving them. I haven't seen them canned anywhere else than the UK, hope you have better luck in Oz. May I still take you up on your fishy recipe offer??? I have a couple I really can't face doing...
Post a Comment
<< Home