Gooseberry and Elderflower Ice Cream

After the gooseberry fool, I started craving these tart, hairy berries like never before! I'd all but forgotten their existence until Nigella reminded me, and I had 2 imported tins left especially for this recipe. Sarah over at Sarah Cooks recently made this ice cream as part of her ice-cream Sunday Project and I noted her comments about it being very sour, so I slightly adapted the recipe to accomodate my sweet tooth. I heated the 2 tins of gooseberries in their syrup and added the rest of a jar of gooseberry jam that had been languishing in the depths of my fridge.
What can I say... the most fabulous ice cream I've ever tasted! This knocked Delias lemon meringue icecream from position no.1, which was followed closely by Nigellas decadent Baci flavour. I couldn't leave the tub alone... it kept calling me at the strangest of hours. It's lifespan was less than 24 hours, and left the fondest of memories :) My poor mum is going to be roped in on a few gooseberry smuggling operations me thinks!
Special thanks to Lou who gave me these cute little dishes for my birthday, merci!

2 Comments:
Mmmm Rachel - the ice cream looks and sounds delicious and the dishes are gorgeous! I haven't tried this one and despite icy weather here I'd now love some!
Kathryn x
Go for it Kathryn, and don't bother using fresh gooseberries either, 2 or 3 tins of Hartleys do the job perfectly. I strongly recommend this recipe, I just wish I had some gooseberries left to make another batch!
Post a Comment
<< Home