Friday, January 05, 2007

Barbecued Quail and Roasted New Season's Vegetables


Happy New Year! This was our New Years Eve meal and we started with smoked salmon on home made milk bread from Apples for Jam (Tessa Kiros). The quail had been marinading for about 24 hours in the fridge and were very quick to cook, and once the veg was prepared we sat back to relax and watched an old Pink Panther movie. I got the set for christmas and we are working our way through them. Gotta love Peter Sellers in his heyday! I added some parsnips as I love them and a sweet potato for good measure. No baby leeks either, so I added 2 regular ones, cut into 3 cm logs. I blitzed the birdies under the grill for about 20 minutes (double the stated time) as they didn't seem cooked enough at 10. I loved the marinade, but I just didn't enjoy the "hunt" for a forkful of meat. They were a little too 'lifelike' sitting there, and I found this a little off putting. My husband, on the other hand, devoured 5 of them and left a little mountain of clean bones on his plate. He has always envied Obelix eating those wildboar and leaving piles of bones in his wake! I filled up on the delicious vegetables (and merlot).

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

The quail look really delicious, but I can certainly appreciate your feelings, and am the same way. Also, the one time I spatchcocked chicken, It grilled unevenly and it took more time to cook throughout -- strange, as it's supposed to do the opposite!

11:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home