Anglo- Italian Trifle

The last time I had trifle must have been about 15 years ago at school. I would carefully scrape off the lumpy custard and eat the fruit and sponge cake, no fond memories there...So when I was planning my Christmas Eve menu and looking through the pudding chapter I noticed that there was no custard, and also I'd read a lot of raving reviews about this particular trifle. I started to buy the necessary ingredients, and I think this is the most expensive pudding I've ever made! Just out of interest I totted up the amounts, $24.50 for the limoncello, $10 for the mascarpone, $5 for the blackberries (and i threw in some raspberries for good mesure), and a few more $$$ for the amaretto, almonds, trifle sponge, jam etc! Admittedly I have half a bottle of limencello left- and if you can't rock the boat at Christmas you never will! Now for the verdict... drumroll please... Absolutely Fabulous! I'm a trifle convert... I'll attempt to make my own limoncello next time too.

4 Comments:
Your trifle looks so pretty! What's the topping? (This is another of your recipes that is not in my copy of FS, hehe.) If you want a recommendation for your next one, I think you'll love the Proper English Trifle from "How to Eat," too :). The limoncello will come in handy this summer when you want to sip something on the balcony.
LOOKS YUMMY...MIAM..MIAMMMMM...
;)
Yum, I made a variation of this trifle over New Years but instead of Limoncello, I used Kirsch...luckily I also had some blackberries frozen. These rich trifle delights can work out expensive but for a special occasion, well worth it!
I love the trifle dish too!
Freya
Thanks Lisa, Lou and Freya,
Lisa, the topping is crushed amaretto mixed supposedly with toasted almonds, which I thought I had. 9pm New Years Eve I realised I didn't so we went without. I'll have a look at the HTE one, thanks :)
Freya, the 'trifle bowl' is actually a vase! I got the idea from Anna Olsen's Sugar programme. I used frozen fruit too, as it's not the season here either. Was really delicious
Post a Comment
<< Home