
I had french friends round for dinner at the weekend and decided to do this dish with hasslebacks & braised little gems as Nigella suggests. As you can see I didn't cut the chicken into 10 pieces, as the bird was a little on the small side, and I even did a second one in case it wasn't enough. Well, I brought the birds & gems to the table and they looked down their gallic noses, and enquired 'hot salad???' Now I'm forever having to defend the British cuisine and this obviously was going to give them fodder for their side of the 'gastronomy debate.' I'm not sure they were braised enough though, and must admit that it was a little odd to crunch on 'hot salad'. Im not sure I'll do the Gems again...(Gav, you were right!). The chicken was delicious though, I must admit to being sceptical after nearly 3 hours in the oven (yes, you read that right!). Next time I'll add a little more liquid to the bottom of the pan as the caramelised lemon & garlic were nearly fossilized in the nearly burnt roasting pan. I'll be doing the chicken again, as I loved the roasted garlic and citron confit together, very summery.
4 Comments:
Mmm, I love that dish, and I love hasslebacks.
I too was a bit wary of the little gems - and I haven't tried them. I don't think you've converted me!
What's next? Do you have the same problem as me (I'm cooking my way through Jamie's new book) that everything looks yummy and you don't know what to try next??
Kathryn
I wont say another word re the gems - but you did encourage me to buy sumac - its great.
G
Kathryn, I'm having no trouble whatsoever choosing the next dish. Everytime i'm looking for inspiration the book opens on something delicious...I seem to be whizzing through the puddings though!!!
I agree about the little gems. Your chicken & potatoes look delicious! Everything is presented so nicely!
Post a Comment
<< Home