Sunday, September 10, 2006

Spiced Pink Soup


I didn't realise there were chilled soups too, so I thought I'd better do these soon before it's -20°C outside. I had to be very devious with this recipe as Chief Guinea Pig aka my husband has a severe beetroot phobia, that dates back to somewhere in the 80's, when his school served it overboiled and puréed. The conversation went something like this:
Him: ( sniffing suspiciously) What's in it?
Me: Cumin & coriander
Him: What else?
Me: (lying through my teeth) Potato
Him: Why's it pink?
Me: Well pink is Nigellas favourite colour, so she used food colouring to make pink soup...(!)
(5 mins later)
Him: That was really delicious, can you make it again?
Me: Of course darling, but I thought you didn't like beetroot...
Him: (he's french) Quoi! C'est pas vrai! Tu déconnes! Je déteste la betterave...tu m'as pas fais manger ça, quand même...followed by a few other expletives, then sheepishly finishing with, well, yours is different... it's all right I guess!!!
While we are on the subject of strange coloured food I saw this in my local veg shop, & just had to buy it...since when have purple peppers been around? Or am I just totally behind the times and out of the loop?!? Someone please reassure me...

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna's kitchen table said...

Wow! I've never seen such a fluorescent soup or a purple pepper, LOL!!

7:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home