Seared Mustard-Coated Salmon

I had been planning to do this dish later in the year, after my trip to England in October, as I was convinced I'd never find english mustard powder in Montréal. Today I struck gold, not just once but twice. One of my favourite haunts for those hard-to-find ingredients is La Vielle Europe, rue St Laurent. Today I came home with not only a really retro looking tin of Colemans mustard powder but a jar of Branston Pickle! This is quite a feat, as i've been pickle depraved for the best part of a year and was suffering from severe withdrawal symptoms. Any non- Brits will be wondering what on earth I'm going on about, but the ex-pats will know exactly what this is all about.
Anyway, the salmon was delicious served with the hasslebacks and mangetout. The mustard taste was very, very subtle (maybe too discret?). Maybe I'll mix some crushed mustard grains in next time to give it a bit more oomph...

4 Comments:
I love this dish!! I love how crunchy it gets too. You can't really say that often about salmon.
I also found Canada to be a great place for Brit goods. When I was in Toronto, there was a little place called Little Britain or something like that. Got one of those tins of English Mustard Powder. YUM! But now I seem to see them everywhere here in New York, LOL.
A friend just sent me english mustard in a tube. Love it!!
p.s. if you have a Walmart, you may find Radox there! I found a few bottles in the one in Toronto. :)
Ilana, whats Radox?? Sounds like something to clean the bathroom with!
Rachel, Radox is bubble bath liquid. They come in many varieties and 'flavors', LOL. They're perfect for unwinding on cold winter nights.
cheers!
Its Badedas I am in search of....the salmon looks delicious I often cook salmon this way but hadn't thought of using mustard , will give it a try next time
Jeannette
Post a Comment
<< Home