Sunday, August 27, 2006

Rainbow Room's Carrot & Peanut Salad


Anyone who hasn't made this before will look at the photo and say carrots and peanuts, so what? I shall quote Nigella as I couldn't put it better " It's ingredients list may look odd, but this is a combination that not only works but becomes addictive. Don't be alarmed by the amount of vinegar: the astringency of the dressing, against the fulsome oiliness of the nuts and, in turn, nutty sweetness of the carrots, is the whole point." I've never seen my husband eat carrots with such gusto before :) I especially love the serving suggestion, " I like to eat this, straight from the pyrex pudding basin I mix it in, held up high, under my chin, for ease of eating-action. In fact, the only way I stop eating it is by someone prise the bowl out of my hands." I'll make this again - and make sure theres no-one around to share with!
P.S I forgot to mention that to cut the carrots I extracted from the 'drawer of lovely but seldom used gadgets' Mandy the mandolin, who however useful when needed is a real pain to clean- especially carrot stains... any tips anyone? I've tried baking soda...

4 Comments:

Blogger Anna's kitchen table said...

You have made me want to try this, NOW! Thanks for the inspiration!

6:57 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

you were right, gav, a great recipe

4:12 pm  
Blogger Lady M said...

Wow, I always used to flip over this recipe as I never really saw the point of it. Ms. Nigella is a goddess to quote indeed but I must quote Ms. Rachel here with "I've never seen my husband eat carrots with such gusto before." That is LOL-funny!!! My hubby loves peanuts and carrots, so I do need to try this soon! Thanks for the inspiration!

12:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it is way too late, but have you tried wiping the mandolin with a paper towel soaked in vegetable (rapeseed) oil? I cleaned the plastic parts of my food processor that were coloured by grapefruit juice thus.

Just discovered your blog.

4:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home